How to get it working,
- Install vim if you don’t have it in your box.
- Copy the vimrc file to $HOME/.vim/
- Move CavemansBashEditor.sh to a location of your liking and run it providing the bash script that needs to be syntax checked as a script parameter e.g. ./CavemansBashEditor.sh /home/dumiduh/myscript.sh
- Leave the script running and refer to it while editing your script(Refer screenshot below).
- The script uses ‘bash -n’ linux command and will only pick up syntax errors it picks up.
- The vimrc file changes the vim editors behavior so that it automatically saves changes, this behavior can be a pain at times so remove the file from $HOME/.vim/ when the script is not used.
- The script was tested on Ubuntu 14.04 with vim 2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3